This is the latest statement from British Triathlon. At present all is going ahead with the Yorkshire Duathlon on April 18th. We are feeling increasingly hopeful.
We have learned a lot since events were initially wiped out by coronavirus. In September Trihard held the Helvellyn Triathlon with 500 entrants. The event went very well and the day was in no way diminished by measures that we had to put in place to make it covid-secure.
People are now well used to measures such as face covering and social distancing so not too many reminders were necessary. We did have to have individual starts of just a few seconds to establish distancing in the swim, but that really did not detract from the event for 99% of the participants, it was still very much a race.
Once the current lockdown is eased we will comply with measures agreed between British Triathlon and the government in order that events can take place.
If draft-legal racing cannot take place, this affects Redcar Sprint Triathlon and The Yorkshire Duathlon Sprint race, then they will still take place but be non-drafting. In this case the likely format is detailed below.
- Time trial format - British Triathlon insist all sanctioned events must be in TT format while social distancing rules apply. This means that each swimmer will start individually. The fastest declared swimmer will set off first, followed by the second fastest and so on.
- Transition area - The current BT view is that bike racking social distancing can be 1m+. At all other times 2m applies. Time spent in transition pre and post race must be kept to an absolute minimum. A strict one way system will apply at all times. You really do only need to bring what you need for the race to transition, therefore large bags and boxes are banned. This Ikea Frakta bag is ideal, and only 40p.
Covid Refund Policy as of 26/01/2021
At the current time we are hopeful that by mid-April and in time for our first event of the year, The Yorkshire Duathlon, that outdoor multi-sport events will be able to take place once more even if subject to the restrictions that we had at the end of last season. But who knows?
Should we find ourselves in situation where events have to be cancelled/postponed because of covid restrictions then we will implement the same 3 options that we had last year.
- Deferral to a rearranged date or to the 2022 edition of the event if cannot be re-arranged for this year.
- 100% credit to be used against any of our events later this year or in 2022.
- Refund of entry fee minus 25% to cover our unrecoverable expenses.
Rob Wilkins. Trihard Events